Sunday 7 April 2013

Sweet Tea Mochi Shortbread Cookies



Last week Pete and I spent a few days in London with my family, which was lovely!
I love visiting London, not only because I get to see my family and friends, but also because I get to visit all of my favourite food shops and stock up on goodies!

My mum took me to an incredible Chinese Supermarket in China Town, and I am totally in love with it! There were so many things I hadn't seen before, and everything was very cheap!

I bought lots of vegan goodies, and this recipe uses a Chinese flour called Mochiko Flour (Glutinous Rice Flour), the stuff that the deliciously chewy sweets Mochi are made of!

This flour gives a delicious flavour to these cookies, and a light and creamy texture, paired with fragrant tea (I used 'Notting Hill' Tea from Yumchaa, a black tea with apricot and cornflowers, but you could use any tea you like!)

These delicately sweet cookies would be perfect for a tea party, or just with your everyday cup of tea.


Makes 20 Cookies
Recipe adapted from here

1 1/2C flour
1/2C glutinous rice flour (mochiko flour)
2Tbsp tea leaves (use any tea you like)
Pinch of salt
2/3C vegan margarine
1/2C powdered sugar
2Tbsp cornflour 
2-4Tbsp water

Combine the flours, tea, salt, cornflour and sugar in a mixing bowl.
In a separate mixing bowl or a standalone mixer cream the margarine until fluffy. Add the dry mixture 1/2C at a time, mixing well and scraping down the bowl to ensure even distribution of the dry ingredients. When all the dry ingredients are combined, add a little water, as much as you need until the dough comes together and can be handled.
Halve the dough and form into two logs, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for around 30mins. 

Preheat the oven to 150 and line a baking tray with grease-proof paper.
Remove the dough from the fridge and peel off the cling film. Slice into 1/2inch rounds and press down slightly. Place the cookies on the baking sheet, they don't expand so you can put them close together. Bake for 20mins, remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Serve with a nice cup of tea, store in an airtight container for up to a week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment