Monday 6 October 2014

Pumpkin Spice Syrup


This week's posts are all Autumn themed - aren't you excited that it's finally October!? And what better way to start the week off with a Pumpkin Spice Syrup recipe.

I'm obsessed with everything Pumpkin Spiced, so naturally I was really excited when a couple of years ago Starbucks brought the Pumpkin Spice Latte to the UK! However my excitement quickly disappeared when I discovered that not only does the Starbucks PSL not contain any real pumpkin, it is also laden with dairy. I spent lots of money buying Pumpkin Spice Syrup, but wasn't overly impressed as you couldn't taste the pumpkin flavor and it was too pricey.

Thankfully, I came up with this recipe and it's so delicious! (And cost effective!) I made it to give as favors for my October Crafternoon  and thought I would share the recipe here so you all can make your own Pumpkin Spice Latté's at home!


Pumpkin Spice Syrup
Makes 6 cups

2 1/2C water
2C white sugar
2C brown sugar
5tsp cinnamon
1/2tsp nutmeg
1/2tsp cloves
1/2tsp allspice
1 vanilla pod (optional)
1/2C pumpkin puree

Put the sugars and water in a large pan over a medium heat and whisk while the sugar melts. Once all the sugar has completely dissolved add the spices and pumpkin puree and whisk again to incorporate. Add the vanilla pod and simmer on a low heat for a further 10mins, whisking occasionally, until the syrup has thickened slightly. Pour into jars or a large bottle and leave the vanilla pod in the container to give an even better flavor. Leave to cool and then store in the fridge for up to 5 weeks.

Add a tablespoon to coffee for an autumnal treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment