Saturday 11 July 2015

Birthday Cake Extravaganza


I turned 24 a few weeks ago, and to celebrate I decided to make the most ridiculously kitsch cake ever! I had a great time decorating the cake, taking inspiration from The Unbirthday Bakery (if you haven't seen their incredible cake creations on Instagram, you totally should!) 


I made four chocolate sponges (using this recipe) and layered them together with the most incredible pink buttercream frosting before covering the entire cake in buttercream and topping it with a smooth covering of dark chocolate ganache. Then the fun really started!

I dotted the cake with all my favorite vegan goodies including mini oreos, party rings, gold leaf, rocky road and honeycomb chocolate shards. I even made glitter-dipped cherries by painting ripe cherries with a little liquid glucose and then dipping them in edible gold glitter! And of course I couldn't resist topping the cake with some aquafaba macarons (these were earl grey flavor, made using the techniques from my Vanilla Chai Macarons


I have to admit that I was a little hesitant about cutting into this cake, but it was really yummy and I enjoyed sharing it with friends.

Now to start planning next year's cake!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Happy birthday (and congratulations!), I don't suppose you have a link for the buttercream?? Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm creating a mindmap for everything Aquafaba. I included a link to this page. With your permission, can I use one pict with any mention you will see fit? luc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, just link back to this post :)

      Delete
  3. This looks amazing :) do you have pictures of a slice? The layers must have looked great^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sadly it was scoffed before I had the chance to photograph the inside!!

      Delete
  4. How do you get a very flat top, do you slice off the slightly rounded bit? Or does it bake with a flat top :)

    ReplyDelete