Monday, 8 February 2016

Boss Babes - Brittany Ketterman // Glitterhouse


This is the first in a series of posts called 'Boss Babes' - I'll be interviewing one awesome girl boss a week for the next few months, and looking at their work. And who better to start with than Brittany Ketterman, creator of Glitterhouse and Ketterman's Cookies.


Brittany is a wife, mother and feminist cat lady who bakes tasty treats and creates beautiful handmade dishes, crochet portraits, illustrations and jewelry from her home in Indiana, USA. I've adored Brittany's work for ages, and have many of her creations dotted around my house! 



How did your business get started?
I've been looking for a way to be creatively fulfilled AND make a living for it my whole life. I feel like I am still, and probably always will be, looking for that one major thing to hit. I started Glitter House a year ago when I decided to stop revisiting all the things I've always done and try something brand new. That's how the ring dishes and earrings came about. Stepping out of my box a bit really refreshed and re-inspired me in all creative outlets. That's how and why I've branched out to illustration, embroidery, cross stitch, and even baking. I've created more and made more friends in this past year than I have in a long time, and I hope to keep riding that growth curve all the way up and up and up.

Where do you find inspiration?
I am constantly inspired by the amazing artists and makers I find on Instagram. Seeing the great things they are out there creating pushes me to keep trying new things. I've been blown away by the true friendships and support and community I have found there, as well, and that support also gives me the push I need to keep putting myself out there.
    I'm also a lifelong collector of anything and everything cute and quirky, and I like to surround myself with those things and visually and creatively excite me. Mostly those things consist of a lot of pink, hearts, and glitter.


What advice would you give to someone wanting to start their own business?
The best advice I have is also the hardest for me to follow: Don't be afraid to charge what your time and products are actually worth! Don't apologize for trying to make a living! I mean, that's really why anyone opens a shop in the first place, so have the confidence to price your goods fairly in a way that is fair to you as well. Under-pricing undermines your own authority and worth as a shop owner and an artist, and makes fair pricing more difficult for fellow shop owners. Your time and talents have value and worth, never forget that.

How do you balance work and play?
Finding a good balance between work and play is always difficult, particularly when you have a full and busy mind and/or children! True "free time" is very rare, so every minute of the day has to serve several purposes. I try to do work things while sitting with the kids, and I like to fit all the fun and relaxation I can into my time while they are at school, in between laundry, shop managing, working on commissions, and cleaning the house. Netflix is always going in the background on those days, so that's my little me-time escape while I work. If I'm lucky, I'll squeeze in time to sit with a cat in my lap and a mug of tea in my hand for a bit.

And just for fun! What's your favorite food, film, music & holiday?
I have so many favorite movies, and my answer changes all the time. Right now, I'm going to go with Wolf Children, by Mamoru Hosada. Always good for a serious cry, especially if you are a mother. I have always been a total 50s and 60s girl, so doo-wop and girl groups are my favorite. In my dreams, I live in the worlds of Grease, Crybaby, and Dirty Dancing.
Valentine's Day and Christmas are a tie for my favorite holiday. Valentine's Day itself isn't a big deal to me, but the merchandise associated with it are all made of my very favorite things. Give me allll the hearts and lace doilies and pink and glitter. Christmas is similar for me in pastel glittery beauty, plus it's much more widely appreciated and celebrated, so there's so much more of it to enjoy. Plus, all the baking and ginger and peppermint and gumdrops!




Find Brittany on Instagram, Facebook, Etsy & Storenvy.

Thanks Britt for sharing your business-babe-wisdom with us, and keep your eyes peeled for another Boss Babe interview next week!

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading this & getting to know Brittany. What a cool idea for a blog series!

    ReplyDelete