Friday, 19 February 2016

Boss Babes - Toni Owers // Lemon Freckles


Today I've got the pleasure of chatting to Boss Babe Toni Owers about her business and blog Lemon Freckles.


Toni is a full-time illustrator and blogger living in Sheffield with her husband James and two pugs, Doug and Lola. She works from home, surrounded by all things cute and colorful, creating sweet illustrations and turning them into patches, prints, pins and cards.



How did your business get started?

I started Lemon Freckles because I wanted a creative outlet, I wasn’t expecting to be able to turn it into a business or that anyone would even notice anything I was doing. But it just started to take off on it’s own and soon I found myself wanting to do more but I was unsure how. I spent a year on a course, learning a few basics, my intention was to carry on to university after but as I got further into the course, I realized uni wasn’t right for me, so at the end of the course I took the leap and went full-time self employed. 

Where do you find your inspiration?

From all sorts of places. I’m a big child, so find a lot of inspiration from childhood toys but also just from my daily life. I feel most inspired when away from the desk, so make sure I take notes/my camera wherever I go for when lighting strikes.

What advice would you give to someone wanting to start their own business?

Be proactive, sometimes you’re lucky enough to have some great jobs fall into your lap but if you want to get somewhere/something, then you need to work for it. Don’t be afraid to get involved in the creative community as well, i’m yet to come across anyone who seems competitive or unwelcoming. It is a beautiful, friendly community and they will be some of your best cheer leaders.

How do you balance work and play?

I’m forever working on this, there are days when I feel like I have it together but to be honest, in this kind of work I just take each day as it comes. Make the most of the days i’m busy and enjoy the days I can spend with the people I love. 

For Fun! What’s your favourite food, film, music and holiday?

Oh gosh, big questions. So some of my favourite foods are: peanut butter, beetroot, vegan sushi, avocado, olives and bread.
I have too many favourite films to have just one but to name a few: Anything by Wes Anderson, Whip It, 500 Days of Summer, The Breakfast Club.
Same with music, too many for a favourite: Kate Bush, Buddy Holly, Frank Turner, Angus & Julia Stone.
As for my favourite holidays, I need an adventure, I can’t sit on the beach. I could do one beach day but that is my limit. For our honeymoon we discovered parts of Thailand and Malaysia, we spoilt ourselves to lovely hotels to come back to but spent the days outside, seeing as much as we could. It was pretty perfect. 


Find Toni on Instagram, Etsy & her Blog.

Thanks for inspiring and sharing with us Toni! Next week I'll be interviewing another Boss Babe, so be sure to come back!

No comments:

Post a Comment