Wednesday, 16 March 2016

Boss Babes - Lucy Bell / PomPomZigZag


Today I'm chatting with boss babe Lucy Bell, the beautiful mind behind PomPomZigZag

Lucy is a preschool teacher by day, and by night creates funky jewelry for adults and kids from her home in Sheffield. 

I'm a BIG fan of PomPomZigZag necklaces, especially their Ugly Beads. Hal loves them too! (I'm actually wearing one in the picture at the top of my blog!)

 
How did your business get started?
Ive been making things for years and years. I started by giving my necklaces as presents to my friends and families for birthdays and they are the ones who told me to start selling. I thought I'd just make a Instagram to keep a little photo diary of what I was creating (I like to look down my feed and see how I've progressed.) I set up a Big Cartel shop and Etsy and just sort of let people discover me through Instagram.

Where do you find inspiration?
I find inspiration everywhere. I work with children so I am constantly surrounded by bright colours and bold prints - I love that children just down care what they are wearing and can clash colours a patterns and it look so fabulous and effortless! When they paint or draw, they don't even think about colours they are using, they just whack it all together, make a load of shapes, dots, lines and it works! I love that. I like to think I manage to translate that into necklaces...


What advice would you give to someone wanting to start their own business?
Just go for it! Keep your full time job, start by doing it as a hobby, build it up over time, figure everything out, don't rush, time is so important - even though you feel like you want everything NOW and immediately. Having the time to grow, learn and perfect your craft/business is priceless.


How do you balance work and play?
Ha, this is a great question! - I don't! At the moment I honestly don't have a life! - My Work and PomPomZigZag is my life. But I love them both. I do try to give myself two days/evenings a week off from PomPomZigZag and I mainly spend that napping and watching documentaries with my cat!


Just for fun - what's your favorite food, film, music & holiday?
My favourite food is Icecream (My aim in life to own an icecream van) My favourite film is Lost in Translation or Closer. My favourite band is Weezer and My favourite holiday is DISNEY WORLD FLORIDA!



You can find PomPomZigZag on Instagram and their shop!

Thanks Lucy for sharing your pearls of wisdom! Come back next week for another Boss Babes interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment