Monday 2 May 2016

Perfect Gluten Free Brownies


I adore brownies, and since I gave up gluten I've been working away in the kitchen, trying to come up with a gluten free vegan brownie recipe that is perfect - and I think I've cracked it! For me, the perfect brownie is uber-chocolatey and fudgy, with a shiny top (and of course lots of chocolate chips!) So here it is, my Perfect Gluten Free Brownie recipe!

I've included different cooking times, depending on just how fudgy you like your brownies, so hopefully this recipe can please all brownie lovers!


Perfect Gluten Free Brownies
Makes 16

1Tbsp ground flax + 3Tbsp warm water
2C gluten free plain flour (Doves Farm or Bob's Red Mill)
3/4C cocoa powder
1C granulated sugar
1C light brown soft sugar
1/2tsp baking powder
1/2tsp salt
1/4tsp xanthan gum
1tsp espresso powder

1C almond or soy milk
1C + 2Tbsp oil
1/8C chickpea aquafaba*
1Tbsp vanilla extract
1/2C dark chocolate chips

*unwhipped, straight from the can!

Preheat the oven to 175/350 and line a brownie tin with grease proof paper.
In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients until well combined. 
Separately mix the flaxseed and water and leave to gel for a few minutes.

Add the wet ingredients and the flax gel to the dry and whisk until you have a gloriously smooth, thick batter. I mean look, just look at it! Try to resist sticking your head in the bowl and just eating all the batter raw if you can!


Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth over with a spatula if necessary. Sprinkle over the dark chocolate chips and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 25mins. (If you like your brownies on the gooey side bake for 20mins, if you like them more cake like then bake for 30mins) Once baked remove the tray from the oven and leave to cool completely in the tin before cutting into squares and devouring!

Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.

1 comment:

  1. these are the best brownies I've ever eaten, vegan or not! Thank you for the great recipe, I fed some to my friends and none of them could tell they were vegan ;)

    ReplyDelete